Tax Tips Blog
- CHANGED LAST NAME FOR MARRIAGE AND OR DIVORCE
If you have changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce, or for any other reason, you need to notify the Social Security Administration before you file your tax return.
Reason: The IRS Can not match your new name with your Social Security Number. And names that does not match, causes problem with the process of your Tax Return as well as delay your refund.
Problem Solving: You need to use form SS-5 application for the Social Security Card. You can get the application from the Social Security Website that’s www.ssa.gov Be aware that when you send the application, be ready to supply documentation of your new name, like a marriage certificate
TAX SCAMS-DIFFERENT THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
Phone Calls- You will not receive a call from the IRS, NOPE NOPE and NOPE!!!
What you will receive from the IRS is a nice beautiful scary letter that you have not even opened yet hahaha. But here is the little twist to that letter that you will receive from the IRS. Please read the letter in its entirety. What you need to focus on are the font staying the same. If you see the font different from the previous paragraph, it is NOT from the IRS. Also, the IRS will Never say they will send the POLICE to your house.
The IRS doesn't initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text or other social media channels to request personal or financial information.
Scams for Tax Professionals, the IRS urges all tax preparers to take the following steps:
- Run a security “deep scan” to search for viruses and malware;
- Strengthen passwords for both computer access and software access; make sure your password is a minimum of 8 digits (more is better) with a mix of numbers, letters and special characters;
- Be alert for phishing scams: do not click on links or open attachments from unknown senders;
- Educate all staff members about the dangers of phishing scams in the form of emails, texts and calls;
- Review any software that your employees use to remotely access your network and/or your IT support vendor uses to remotely troubleshoot technical problems and support your systems. Remote access software is a potential target for bad actors to gain entry and take control of a machine.
Internal Revenue Service Lead Development Center
24000 Avila Road
Laguna Niguel, California 92677-3405
AMAZON SCAM- If you see and or receive a call in regards to a Amazon Financial Agent position, DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!! I know many want extra money and or just a job, you still have to do your research on not just the company, but the position itself.
If you’re looking for a remote job, this is just a reminder that scams are everywhere! That’s why the job search website Flex Jobs recommends that you avoid using “work-at-home” and “work-from-home” in search engines.
Instead, try keywords that scammers are less likely to use, such as telecommuting, virtual and remote job.